Wired network issue

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by mike611, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mike611

mike611

Hi,

I have an issue that I cannot resolve and thought I would see if there are any suggestions.

I have an HP desktop H8-1549 that has a built in Atheros AR8161L nic card and a built in wireless adapter. I am running Windows 10 OS - 64 bit

The ethernet card only ever shows speeds of 10/100 although it is a gigabit card. I have tried updating the driver and currently have version 2.1.0.21 installed.

When connected to a wired connection, all downloaded files show installer errors or say files are corrupted when trying to install anything. On wireless it is fine. I can download, install etc. without any errors.

My house is wired with CAT6 cable to a gigabit switch to a Bell Home Hub router. Other computers in the home work fine. If I connect this computer to a different plug on the wired system, I get the same installation failures although other computers on the same connection are fine. If I use an ethernet cable tester, the cable tests 100% OK from the wall plug to the gigabit switch.

My final step will be to try and install a different PCI express x1 ethernet card as I think it is a defective ethernet card although the computer says it is working correctly - it is very puzzling?

Any suggestions of any kind will be very welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

mike611, Nov 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question