"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network[SSID]"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Hi there,

    I googled a bit around this phrase, but didn't find a good answer.

    I am using WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2) to connect my wireless
    clients to a 802.11n draft router (D-link DIR-655). The connection works
    as advertised, but I keep getting this message bubble, just a second
    before the connection is made.

    I read that it's related to Windows Wireless Zero configuration (WZC),
    with no preferred networks specified, but in my case I specified the
    network SSID. Someone suggested on a forum to quit using WZC and use the
    manufacturer's provided configuration utility.

    What to do you suggest ? Will it remove the annoying message bubble ?
    Any advantage of the manufacturer's utility over WZC ?

    Lorenzo
     
    Lorenzo Sandini, Apr 30, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Lorenzo Sandini

    Lem Guest

    Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server (RADIUS),
    uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
    of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.

    Click "Properties" button here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...tion/Properties/Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml
    and go to "Authentication" tab here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...less_Networks/Properties/Authentication.shtml
     
    Lem, Apr 30, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Hi Lem,

    Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
    It can be selected only if select "WPA - professional"...

    LS
     
    Lorenzo Sandini, May 2, 2007
    #3
  4. Lorenzo Sandini

    Lem Guest

    Lorenzo,

    You write that you are using "WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2)."
    Although WPA-PSK with AES encryption uses the encryption algorithm
    specified for WPA2, it does not have all of the security features of
    WPA2. There is no reason I know of why WPA-PSK (AES) should be looking
    for a certificate (certificates should only be required when using
    WPA-Enterprise), however, if you do not have an option in Wireless Zero
    Configuration for WPA2, you should download and install
    Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

    Alternatively, use the configuration utility for your wireless adapter.
    Be sure to disable WZC if you do this. There may be an option in the
    mfr's utility that will do this for you, or you will have to do it
    manually, such as described at http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    In addition, both ends of your wireless connection -- router and adapter
    -- need to have the same security configuration. In addition to making
    sure that your adapter is set to use WPA-PSK (AES) (or WPA2-PSK), you
    also need to make sure that your DIR-655 is not configured to use
    WPA2-Enterprise. Double check this in the configuration utility of your
    DIR-655.
     
    Lem, May 2, 2007
    #4
  5. I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from
    the CD, along with the D-link wireless utility.

    I disabled the windows wireless zero configuration, and configured the
    encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES), with now a perfectly working setup and no
    more warning bubbles. And 300Mbps is availbale even with WPA-PSK (TKIP)
    now, while it sed to fall back to 54 Mbps with the "latest driver" from
    D-link Finland.

    Thanks to all for your input.

    Lorenzo
     
    Lorenzo Sandini, May 3, 2007
    #5
  6. Lorenzo Sandini

    Lem Guest

    Glad you got things working. Thanks for the feedback.
     
    Lem, May 4, 2007
    #6
  7. This Work for me just fine thanks :)
    uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
    of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.





    Lem wrote:

    Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
    30-Apr-07

    Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

    Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server (RADIUS),
    uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
    of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.

    Click "Properties" button here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...tion/Properties/Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml
    and go to "Authentication" tab here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...less_Networks/Properties/Authentication.shtml

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    Previous Posts In This Thread:

    "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
    Hi there,

    I googled a bit around this phrase, but didn't find a good answer.

    I am using WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2) to connect my wireless
    clients to a 802.11n draft router (D-link DIR-655). The connection works
    as advertised, but I keep getting this message bubble, just a second
    before the connection is made.

    I read that it's related to Windows Wireless Zero configuration (WZC),
    with no preferred networks specified, but in my case I specified the
    network SSID. Someone suggested on a forum to quit using WZC and use the
    manufacturer's provided configuration utility.

    What to do you suggest ? Will it remove the annoying message bubble ?
    Any advantage of the manufacturer's utility over WZC ?

    Lorenzo

    Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
    Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

    Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server (RADIUS),
    uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
    of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.

    Click "Properties" button here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...tion/Properties/Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml
    and go to "Authentication" tab here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...less_Networks/Properties/Authentication.shtml

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    Hi Lem,Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
    Hi Lem,

    Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
    It can be selected only if select "WPA - professional"...

    LS

    Lem wrote:

    Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
    Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

    Lorenzo,

    You write that you are using "WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2)."
    Although WPA-PSK with AES encryption uses the encryption algorithm
    specified for WPA2, it does not have all of the security features of
    WPA2. There is no reason I know of why WPA-PSK (AES) should be looking
    for a certificate (certificates should only be required when using
    WPA-Enterprise), however, if you do not have an option in Wireless Zero
    Configuration for WPA2, you should download and install
    Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

    Alternatively, use the configuration utility for your wireless adapter.
    Be sure to disable WZC if you do this. There may be an option in the
    mfr's utility that will do this for you, or you will have to do it
    manually, such as described at http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    In addition, both ends of your wireless connection -- router and adapter
    -- need to have the same security configuration. In addition to making
    sure that your adapter is set to use WPA-PSK (AES) (or WPA2-PSK), you
    also need to make sure that your DIR-655 is not configured to use
    WPA2-Enterprise. Double check this in the configuration utility of your
    DIR-655.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from the
    I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from
    the CD, along with the D-link wireless utility.

    I disabled the windows wireless zero configuration, and configured the
    encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES), with now a perfectly working setup and no
    more warning bubbles. And 300Mbps is availbale even with WPA-PSK (TKIP)
    now, while it sed to fall back to 54 Mbps with the "latest driver" from
    D-link Finland.

    Thanks to all for your input.

    Lorenzo


    Lem wrote:

    Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
    Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
    Glad you got things working. Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer


    Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
    Creating a WPF Custom Control
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...9-c0b45fb68b78/creating-a-wpf-custom-con.aspx
     
    Jessei Medina, Feb 23, 2010
    #7
  8. Unchecking this box solved the problem. All the other fiddle-faddle is unnecessary. Must have been left on by mistake. Thank you.
     
    Allen Marshall, Sep 25, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
There are no similar threads yet.
Loading...