VirginMedia throttling across the whole network

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Gonz, May 3, 2007.

  1. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    I said it wud happen :eek:)
    Just a marketin thing, can't supply it, it just looks good.

    Crisis meetings, and mass cancellations all over again.

    It didn't take long for NTL to ruin the Virgin brand name that they were
    hiding behind :eek:)
     
    Gonz, May 3, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Gonz

    Xeonwales Guest

    Uumm...... WHAT???

    Virgin Media are using traffic shaping across the UK to around 5% of
    there customer base who exced a limit during peak time.

    'During peak times, the top 5% of broadband Size: XL customers
    download/upload at least 3Gb of information each.

    So, any broadband Size: XL customers who hit 3Gb of uploads or
    downloads during peak times will have their download speed temporarily
    set to 5Mb and their upload speed set to 256Kb.

    The limit will last for 4 hours.

    Even if a Broadband Size: XL user has their speed temporarily managed,
    they can still download over 4,000 music files per day.'

    Sounds ok to me!!! (better than a download cap) & it's still
    Unlimited!!!
     
    Xeonwales, May 3, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    I've highlighted some points in your post.
    It'll help answer where you said "it's still Unlimited!!!"
     
    Gonz, May 3, 2007
    #3
  4. Gonz

    Xeonwales Guest

    Uumm.... if you are a Virgin Media ADSL customer & you exceded the FUP
    (40Gb), they can stop you using the service untill next month. This
    service is limited.

    On cable, if you go over the 3Gb limit during peak time, they 1/2 your
    speed for a masive....... 4hours!!!! Oo no, 4 hours with only a 5Mb
    connection, what will we do??
     
    Xeonwales, May 3, 2007
    #4
  5. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    You was the one who started the 'limit' thing, and even then you say
    that it isn't limited, but at the same time say that it is.
    I originally said that they were throttling, which you agreed only comes
    into play at certain limits, and then applies certain limits.

    I don't understand what you're tryin to argue about, when all you're
    basically doin is agreein with me anyway.
     
    Gonz, May 3, 2007
    #5
  6. Gonz

    Eeyore Guest

    Cancellations of what ?

    Graham
     
    Eeyore, May 3, 2007
    #6
  7. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    "We found that this small minority of customers were actually
    downloading or uploading enough information to significantly affect the
    service for other customers' broadband service. To put it another way,
    just 5% of customers were affecting the service for the other 95%"

    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html


    When they say that 5% of customers are the reason for the throttling,
    they are in effect saying that they actually know who they are.
    (just 5% of customers were affecting the service for the other 95%)
    But by using the same theory and restricting the 5% of customers who are
    affecting the service for others, they are actually going to restrict
    anyone and everyone who is using their connection at its max capacity,
    because when the top 5% get throttled, another 5% will take that top 5%
    spot that is now vacant, and will themselves be throttled.
    Around in circles, and punishing everybody, not the 5% they seem to
    blame for the reason that they have to do this for in the first place.
     
    Gonz, May 3, 2007
    #7
  8. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    Errr... Virgin?
     
    Gonz, May 3, 2007
    #8
  9. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    The 20Mb package will be reduced to 5Mb.
    This will last for 4 hours.

    Just workin that out on how an average user is goin to lose out, is a
    good enuff reason why many payin a premium £37 for, will come to the
    conclusion that it's over priced and a rip off.
     
    Gonz, May 3, 2007
    #9
  10. Gonz

    ato_zee Guest

    Lack of capacity, through beancounters spending vast sums on
    advertising, and not on bandwidth which would improve the service.

    Beancounter say with the customers locked into contracts
    they can't readily vote with their feet.

    Can't see how they can hope to offer streaming video if
    they can't cope now.

    IMHO broadband was flawed from the start, it should
    have offered a routed broadband service, then comparing
    and changing ISP's would be simple. It also needed
    a built in bit error rate test, so the customer could
    initiate loopback, get the result, and email it to his
    ISP, saying "fix it".
    One great thing about dialup routing was that you
    could try other ISP's using PAYG before committing
    yourself.
     
    ato_zee, May 3, 2007
    #10
  11. You're limited by line speed so I fail to see what the problem is.

    JC
     
    John Christie, May 3, 2007
    #11
  12. The same argument that Plusnet used when it introduced throttling, which is
    now a "feature" of all their currently-available tariffs in varying
    degrees.
    (Thank dog that I'm on the legacy PAYG - unthrottled - tariff).

    George
     
    George Weston, May 3, 2007
    #12
  13. Gonz

    Bert Guest

    All ISPs have to deal with greedy bastards and this is just Virgin's
    take. If you want to download the earth then pay for it instead of going
    for a cheaper service and then whining when they get fed up with the
    piss takers.
     
    Bert, May 3, 2007
    #13
  14. Gonz

    Kraftee Guest

    Very short sighted of you to make such assumptions, are you going to
    call people who download the films/TV programs on demand 'greedy
    bastards' as they will be downloading large amounts of data (if the
    quality is going to be any good). Remember Virgin, SKY & BT Broadband
    all offer such services.

    Or are you saying that they can download any films as long as it's not
    during peak times (which would be the time when most of them would
    won't to download them)?
     
    Kraftee, May 3, 2007
    #14
  15. Gonz

    Edster Guest

    I wouldn't really call downloading 350mb taking the piss. That's what
    the cap is set at for some users. For the majority it is set at 750mb,
    and only a tiny minority get to download 3gig before they get capped.
     
    Edster, May 3, 2007
    #15
  16. Gonz

    Bert Guest

    Edster [] said:
    You are referring to the cheapest service and as only 5% of users break
    that threshold then they are, by definition, heavy users of that
    service. Clearly, they should upgrade to a more appropriate service for
    their needs.
     
    Bert, May 3, 2007
    #16
  17. Gonz

    Bert Guest

    Kraftee [[email protected]&e-cottee.me.uk] said:
    And you should remember that users should purchase, and pay for, a
    service appropriate for their needs rather than buying a cheaper service
    and then whine when their relative heavy usage (top 5% only affected) is
    curtailed.
    If you want a cheaper service then you might well have to accept that
    you can download "more" during off-peak rather than during peak times.

    But anyway, 3GB is actually rather a lot of data, several film's worth,
    and being throttled back from 20Mb to 5Mb is hardly going to spoil the
    viewing of a film, or anything else come to that.
     
    Bert, May 4, 2007
    #17
  18. Not interestinG to you I know, but its worth remindinG all and sundry
    that absolutely every single internet connection in the world is
    limited in terms of bandwidth.

    What is unlimited is how much you can use it. If you want to try to
    make a case for limits, you need to find examples which refer to the
    same metric.
     
    Mark McIntyre, May 4, 2007
    #18
  19. Gonz

    Eeyore Guest

    You mean customers cancelling ? How do they do that if they agreed to a 12 month
    contract ?

    Or are you just making it up ? Facts, figures ?

    Graham
     
    Eeyore, May 4, 2007
    #19
  20. Gonz

    Gonz Guest

    I know... that's why this country is the way it is.
     
    Gonz, May 4, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.