Virgin.net ADSL and IPSEC VPN Clients

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by banzai, Nov 22, 2005.

1. banzai

banzai Guest

Anybody get problems with VPN connectivity over Virgin's native adsl service
    (whereby you get an external adsl modem thrown in that gives you a usb
    virtual ethernet device) ? My same vpn client works fine over other ISP's on
    the network card and dial up modem but traffic seems to be blocked as soon
    as I use the virgin usb device. The virgin connection itself is fine (until
    i enable the vpn/tunnel). I'm assuming the fault is due to the virtual
    device but could I guess be related to a config issue/firewall etc on the
    virgin gateways..

TIA

banzai, Nov 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. banzai

Peter M Guest

No direct experience of that - I helped a friend get set up on Metronet using
    a PCI card so his VPN connection to the office would work (it was easier than
    suggesting a router that might/might not have worked). In essence it seems a
    parallel to the setup you have but I'm pretty negative about USB anyway, when
    connections sometimes seem to be a 'bodge' as if the user has a dial-up using
    a phone number, or kidding the PC into thinking there's an ISDN connection...

Can you beg or borrow a router to test, or contact someone else using VPN, so
    as to check you have similar settings... I've seen mention of some USB units
    using USB as a way to get an *ethernet* connection to the modem/router rather
    than being a USB ADSL modem (like the Alcatel frog), so maybe you could state
    the actual unit and version of the USB drivers that you use, for others to be
    sure they're comparing like with like... Peter M.

Peter M, Nov 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. banzai

banzai Guest

Problem was down to the usb device/client s/ware provided by virgin. Put in
    an adsl router and vpn works fine.

banzai, Nov 23, 2005
  4. banzai

Peter M Guest

Glad you got it sorted. Routers make life easier, most of the time!

Peter M, Nov 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question