Two Ethernet Jacks & Two Networked Boxes

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by ignatius, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. ignatius

    ignatius Guest

    Please pardon all evidence of ignorance in the following. I've just left the world of modems
    and google hasn't settled the following issue.

    I have a space with two ethernet jacks and two mandrake boxes. I don't have a router. What
    are my options if I want to network the boxes and get them both on the internet?

    I know that a linux box can serve as a dedicated router. Can one of my boxes be a
    workstation and a router? I have three NICs for the two boxes.

    If not, what are my other options? I could buy a router, or I could hook each box up to a
    seperate jack and then set them up to remotely mount each other's drives over the net.

    Most of the materials on google pertain to sharing one internet connection. I have two,
    so it's less obvious (to me, anyway) that I need a router/dedicated router box.

    ignatius, Sep 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. ignatius

    Paul Lutus Guest

    One crossover cable, or buy a hub and use two normal network cables. The
    second is more flexible in an environment in which you might add things
    One modem, set up the machine with the modem for packet forwarding. Not
    terribly difficult.
    Paul Lutus, Sep 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. ignatius

    ignatius Guest

    Thanks for the info, Paul. On this last point--I don't use a modem since I have two T1 jacks
    in my wall. Or am I misunderstanding the usefulness of a modem in my situation?

    I'd like to be able to access my word processing documents and play MP3s off either
    computer, and I want them both on the net. Since I have two good jacks I'm wondering if I
    should even use a LAN, or if I should just do some type of network file sharing. If there's
    no real advantage to a LAN I'd rather not get a hub and have yet another piece of electronics
    lying around! Thanks.
    ignatius, Sep 26, 2003
  4. ignatius

    W Cardwell Guest

    If you just moved into an office space with two Ethernet jacks in the wall
    then there is probably a building-wide Ethernet network and Internet
    connection, so you don't need your own hub or router. Just find the IT guy
    and ask him what you need to do to get two machines in your space talking to
    each other and on the Internet.
    W Cardwell, Sep 26, 2003
  5. ignatius

    James Knott Guest

    Best bet is to have a separate firewall/router. You can roll your own with
    Linux or buy a cheap one from SMC, Linksys etc.
    It can, however you'll also want firewall filtering, which Linux can do, but
    it's best to use a dedicated system for security reasons.
    One of those boxes from SMC, Linksys etc. will allow you to network locally,
    as well as share internet access.
    Those boxes will do all you need. And given your lack of knowedge &
    experience, probably the better choice.

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "@" with
    James Knott, Sep 27, 2003
  6. ignatius

    James Knott Guest

    Network file sharing requires a lan of some sort. What are those 2 T1s
    (more properly called DS1) connected to? Are they both going to an ISP?
    You'll also need something to connect to the DS1. A standard computer NIC
    won't do it.


    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "@" with
    James Knott, Sep 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.