Trying to provide wireless internet

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by capofirstfret, Jul 6, 2012.

1. capofirstfret

capofirstfret

First off, I want to say hi. I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now. I'm new to networking but not new to computers. I'm still learning terminology but I'm not afraid of lingo if you have to throw it at me so ..now that that's out of the way.

I work at a small public library and we're trying to setup wireless internet for our patrons. I've been studying VLANs, trunking, etc and going through the Mike Meyers book trying to study and learn enough to prepare for the Network+ cert, but for all that knowledge, my hands on experience is at a minimum so I'm seeking help before I screw this up.

We are using a Cisco 1841router, a Linksys SRW224G4 switch, and we just purchased on recommendation the Cisco WRVS4400N Wireless N VPN Router.

Could you give me the best configuration to provide wireless to our patrons in a way that avoids their possibly accessing anything else on our network? I've been told separating into separate VLANs is my best option, and while I know I can work through it to make it work, I want to make sure I've got the physical connection down so that I can focus on the software/routing side of things. Any advice and help would be most appreciated.

capofirstfret, Jul 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. capofirstfret

capofirstfret

...and I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. I'm terribly sorry. I already feel a bit dumb having to ask what feels like such a basic question. Could someone please move the thread to the appropriate forum?

capofirstfret, Jul 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question