To bridge or not to bridge

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Jimbo, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Hi Folks,
    I've got a D-Link DSL-504 but have recently bought a new latop with
    a wireless connection. So I want to plug something wireless into my
    DSL-504 so I can use the wireless connection. Do I need a bridge or a
    wireless access point? And whatever gizmo I plug into the DSL-504 what
    IP address will it be assigned?

    Jimbo, Dec 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Jimbo

    Lurch Guest

    All you need is a wireless access point, any make. Should be straight
    forward enough, instructions are all in the box but it's usually just
    a case of plugging it in.
    Lurch, Dec 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Jimbo

    Geoff Lane Guest

    You need an Access Point, doesn't have to be a D-Link product as I
    have a Netgear Access Point plugged in to a Vigor router.

    The D-Link router has probably got a built in DHCP server which
    automatically gives out IP addresses to whatever is connected to it.

    Whatever Access Point you buy will have an SSID name, this is
    changable but whether you leave it as default (Not a good idea) or
    change it the WiFi device on your laptop needs the same SSID.

    WiFi is good fun and useful but don't expect the range and speeds that
    the manufacturers claim.

    Geoff Lane
    Geoff Lane, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Jimbo

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Both. Most, if not all, wireless access points (APs) have an Ethernet port.
    They act as a bridge between wired and wireless networks.
    Whatever the documentation for the AP says. If the DSL-504 acts as a DHCP
    server then probably the address it offers.

    Alex Fraser, Dec 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.