Somewhat tech savy in need of expert advise

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by perceptionist, Sep 17, 2014.

1. perceptionist

perceptionist

Hey all first post here in hopes to optimize my home network with what I have on hand. I will first list my current setup, and then what I would like to alter followed by my ultimate goal.

Current Setup with Comcast Cable Hi-Speed internet:
    Cable Modem - Motorola Surfboard Model:SB 6121
    Connected to
    Cisco Linksys Wireless Router Model: WRT120N (on main floor of house)
    This router has a hard wire going to the upstairs floor and connects to a Linksys WRT54G router running the DD-WRT firmware.

I recently added the upstairs router because my roommate who lives up there was having issues with the internet being stable. Adding the router helped but she still has issues streaming video (She watches streaming TV over the connection)

Her laptop is an HP 2000 Notebook PC (Specific Model: 2000-2c29WM) which features 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN.
    She's running Windows 8.

My Laptop is a Gateway M-6864FX which features an Intel 4965 A/G/N wireless network adapter.
    I'm running Windows 7.

Now I recently scored a D-Link Model DAP-1360 wireless range extender at a local thrift store. This got me thinking about how the router I am currently using upstairs is the weakest link as it is only a "B or G" device. Since this DAP-1360 is an "N" device, it seems logical to replace the WRT54G with this newer "N" capable D-Link. This would create a completely "N" compliant network correct?

Here is where I get confused. This D-Link Range Extender has 7 different setup options and I am unsure which one is optimal for what I hope to achieve. The options are as follows:

1-Access Point Mode

2-Wireless Client Mode

3-Repeater Mode

4-Bridge Mode

5-Bridge with AP Mode

6-WISP Client Router mode

7-WISP Repeater mode

And to further complicate my understanding of how to proceed, my research if I'm understanding correctly led me to believe that with some setups you sacrifice half of your bandwidth to extend the WiFi in this manner, but then there are other methods which isolate use for each user which sounded beneficial in instances where she is watching her streaming video shows while at the same time I happen to be downloading large files.

She is a relatively new roommate who is about to start college and is a bit anxious about the WiFi being consistently stable in light of the recent instabilities as many of her studies will involve the use of the home WiFi.

The more I read on the topic, the more confused I become. There are just so many options.

If I have successfully outlined my goals here could someone assist me in the best possible configuration with what I have to work with?

Thanks for any input!

On a side note: I did discover "inSSIDer Home" which was very helpful in selecting a better wireless channel. I have it running right now with (for those familiar with inSSIDer) an average link score of about 80 for each router where before using the info provided by this program, I was running 80/40.

perceptionist, Sep 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question