Sharing A Folder On An External HD Via The Internet

Discussion in 'General Networking Discussion' started by zunebuggy, Aug 24, 2015.

1. zunebuggy

zunebuggy

I have a 1TB drive connected to a spare PC. I have a friend that lives in the same state as I do and we are collaborating on a project.

We were using Google Drive but 8GB is not cutting it as we are saving a lot of HD raw images and videos. I can share my drive easily with anyone in my house, but I do not know how I can share the drive with my friend outside of my home network. I would actually just like to share only one folder on the drive and he would not have access to anything else. Also I would like to make it so he would have to log in to access the folder, thus keeping anyone else out.

I would like to do this for FREE or very cheap but I have a feeling I will need some 3rd party software and have to pay for it. He and I are not opposed to using Ubuntu with setting this up. Obviously security it a big concern.

zunebuggy, Aug 24, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. zunebuggy

jimasek

My Cloud, FTP server or VPN tunnel between your computer and computers of your friends

jimasek, Dec 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question