Seeking advice on switches and network configuration

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by rhimbo, Sep 18, 2017.

1. rhimbo

rhimbo

Hello all,

I'm building a home network and would like your expert advice on what features I would likely need. I'm somewhat naive with respect to networking but I do have a computer science background with 30 years writing software so you don't have to dumb down your answers; I can handle it.

We have 100Mbit/sec downlink from Spectrum (formerly TimeWarner Cable) here. Uplink is 10 Mbit/sec.

Here is my vision for what I'm trying to do. I currently have Cat 6 cable running to each room in my house (currently around 30+ connection points). I will pull several more cables for the high-resolution digital IP PoE cameras I want to install (maximum of 10 let's say). I will have two voice phone lines (not IP phones).

Right now I'm focusing my questions on the network switch that I need.
    • Do I need a managed switch? I'm wondering whether I should create VLANs to separate the cameras from other network devices. I'm not too worried about port mirroring or redundancy. I think a Gigabit switch would provide plenty of capacity even for the network video recorder (NVR) system to capture video from 10 IP cameras. And I can always put a 10 Gbit switch.
    • From trying to find answers on the internet, I'm still not sure I understand whether I need two switches. I need a PoE switch for the cameras. Can I plug a PoE switch into a "regular" non-network switch (Router --> non-PoE --> PoE)?
    • I probably need a 48-port switch or two 24-port switches. Is there an advantage to one configuration over another?
    • There are so many switches out there. Does anyone have any suggestions on brand? I know I can't go wrong with Netgear, Cisco, etc. But is that overkill? There are so many: Gear IT, TP-Link, Buffalo, Ubiquiti, Zyxel....
    I'm going to install a wall-mounted rack (I like the one shown in the attached photo) and put the equipment in it. I'm bolting a 1/2" piece of plywood to my drywall (anchored in the studs of course). That should suffice; I don't think I need 3/4" plywood but tell me if I'm wrong!! Perhaps the NVR, switch and miscellaneous shelves will be too heavy for 1/2" plywood.

Finally, if there are any considerations regarding architecture, topology or general configuration that I should know (as I said, I'm not a "networking guy" professionally) please don't hesitate to point me in the right direction. With the right guidance, I'm happy to go off and do the research....

OK, that's it I think...!

Many thanks in advance....

Attached Files:

rhimbo, Sep 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements