New server/network setup help

Discussion in 'General Networking Discussion' started by Dursh, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Dursh

Dursh

Hey guys,

I’ve been given a task, albeit a complete ass about way of doing something but this is the way they want it done nonetheless… And I just want a little clarification and help regarding a few procedures.

A little pre info on the setup…

We have a 192.168.1.x subnet everything in this local office and warehouse run from it. Servers including DC’s and Application/DHCP/DNS/AD are in the 192.168.1.1-50 range with static IP everything else uses DHCP up to 192.168.1.254

They bought a new server which has a 4port gigabit network NIC in it, and basically what they want is the IT and Programmers to run off a different subnet (192.168.2.x), but still have access to the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Their idea was to setup 2x 2port LAG’s on the server NIC’s with 1 LAG connected to the 192.168.1.x subnet and the run the other server LAG on the 192.168.2.x subnet and run that into IT/Programmers switch.

My questions are?

If I setup DHCP on this server can I only have it assign IP’s that are connected through the server LAG which is in the 192.168.2.x subnet? Ie: basically only PC’s that are connected to the IT/Programmers switch will receive IP’s in the 192.168.2.x subnet and not any other PC’s on the network.

Secondly, how do I go about making sure that these IT/Programmers PC’s still have access to the 192.168.1.x subnet also? Do I need to setup DNS on the server as well? Or do I need to setup Routing on the server?

Also the server is running Server 2008 R2

Thanks in advance for you help

Dursh, Jun 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question