Installing a Cat 6 Home Network - Does the faceplate make a difference?

Discussion in 'General Networking Discussion' started by dontrun, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dontrun

dontrun

Hi,

I'm installing a Cat 6 Home Network, as I'm currently renovating my new house, so I want to put all the structured cabling in now while I can.

I've opted for Cat 6 for future proofing, as it should be capable of 10 gigabit ethernet (up to 30m).

I've already laid all the Cat 6 cable and left it loose in the back boxes around the house, ready to terminate into a network faceplate.

I've installed Screwless Black Nickel plug sockets all around the house, and I was looking for some Network Faceplates that match

I've found some that I quite like the look of, produced by BG Electrical. The problem is... I've contacted the company to see if they were Cat 6, and they say they're only Cat5. Obviously now I've gone to the trouble of laying Cat 6 cabling, I don't want the speed to be limited by using cat 5 components.

What I can't understand is, I thought a network faceplate just had the plastic part on it that slides down to allow you to insert the RJ45 connector on your cable into the keystone Jack. So I would have thought that as long as you used a cat 6 keystone jack, the faceplate itself wouldn't make any difference. Is this correct? Or is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Chris

dontrun, Aug 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. dontrun

jigme

Chris -

don't know if you still need help with this (i only just joined the forum), but you are correct: the faceplate is irrelevant - it's only the jack that's important here; so long as your keystone jacks are Cat6 you can mount them in whatever you like.

alex

jigme, Oct 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question