How can I create an inactive nic alias?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by ogre, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ogre

ogre Guest

eth0 is the physical and is always enabled an active. We call this the management nic and is used to ssh in, etc, but application traffic does not gothrough here.

For application traffic, I want to use a "floating nic" that is enabled on the primary server and disabled on the backup server. This is a special case pair of servers where automatic failover is a very bad idea, so we have chosen to use manual failover and not use automation tools such as keepalived.

I tried creating an alias (eth0:0), but the ONBOOT option is ignored, with the parent's (eth0) setting used. That would result in both the primary and backup server both trying to enable the floating ip.

Other than dropping the congiguration file (ifcfg-eth0:0) down with a name that wouldn't be picked up automatically and requiring us to rename it to failover, is there a simple solution?

ogre, Mar 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question