home networking windows 98 and xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by status1, Dec 21, 2008.

1. status1

status1

Hello,
    I am new to networking and I am looking for some answers about home networking
    I have a computer with windows 98 that I use all the time to get on the internet
    and it's working fine
    I have a second computer with windows xp that I installed recently that I would like to set up to be able to share files with windows 98 and hopefully to get on the internet through the host computer with windows 98
    So far I got a dynex DX-E101 pci adapter card installed into the computer with windows 98 and connected it to the computer with windows xp using a crossover cable
    I am able to view the files that are on the xp computer from the windows 98 but
    I am having some difficulty in finding out why I can't get the xp to see the files
    on windows 98
    I think maybe I need to configure something but I am not sure where to start
    The status of the lan connection on the xp shows limited or no connection so that's probably why it's not working but I am not sure if I need to change any settings on the windows xp or windows 98 and which settings should I change

status1, Dec 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. status1

status1

Just an update here
    I am able to share files from both computers now so the only thing I can't do is to get on the internet through the host computer
    I can get on the internet if I make a direct connection but not through the host
    I think I am still missing something I just don't know what it is

status1, Dec 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. status1

status1

I got it working
    After some reading on the internet I found out that I have to install Internet Connection Sharing so after installing that on the windows 98 computer the other computer running xp
    was able to connect to the internet without any additional installation

So looking back it was a fairly easy installation
    The only thing needed was an extra ethernet port if you want to connect 2 computers and share an internet connection plus a crossover cable It cost me less then $10 for the
    network card and the crossover cable
    The (ICS) software was already on my windows 98 cd so all I had to do is to install it
    Learning about networking ...priceless

status1, Dec 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question