Home network (Server+m0n0wall+wireless router)

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Rango, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Rango

Rango

Hello, everyone! I hope you're all doing good!

I'm a total beginner in the world of computer networking, and I pretty much have a lot to do to improve my knowledge on this topic.

I would like to kindly ask you to help me with designing a home network which would use me as a beginner's training center as I go trough the theory of computer networks.

I hold the equipment shown below and the primary tasks I wish to focus on are the following:

- Block all incoming traffic from the internet with m0n0wall firewall
    - Implement VPN on the m0n0wall
    - Create a wireless network for connecting with laptop, with the ability to connect to:​
    1.) Debian server:​
    * To perform administrative tasks on specific services (vsftpd/Apache/Wordpress/MySQL/phpMyAdmin)
    * To practice penetration testing (Focused on web applications)​
    2.) Internet​

Can you tell me if this network model is possible to create?
    Can you help me create and configure the network to achieve the mentioned tasks?
    - Which IP's to assign to each computer?
    - How to do the cabling?​

Please, if you are able to, answer any of my questions, or help me in any kind of way.

It might seem as I'm just another guy trying to get others to serve him the full plate, but I would like to use this network as a basis for my further exploration of computer networking. Currently, I'm unable to do all the reading to cover the needed lack of skills to do this stuff, as I still have some college obligations to complete, and I would like to finish this network as soon as possible - by the beginning of the next college year.

Thank you very much!

Attached Files:

Rango, Aug 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question