Help a Beginner

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by GaryArroz, Mar 9, 2014.

1. GaryArroz

GaryArroz

We have been buying BluRay/DVD/Digital Download combo packs for a while. I have been storing the digital downloads locally on the external hard drive as much as possible. They are spread between iTunes, UltraViolet, Flixster, and one other whose name I can't recall at the moment. I want to consolidate my entire library locally on the 1TB.
    Ideally, I would like to watch ANY of my movies on ANY of my devices. Realistically, I would be thrilled if I could watch ALL of my movies on my TV. I know, I know. Get off the couch and switch discs, you lazy bum! But where's the fun in that, right?

Hardware:
    Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900
    Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0 HDD connected to router
    WD MyPassport 250GB USB HDD connected to desktop

Device and current capability:
    Mac desktop - plays anything , but split between iTunes and Quicktime
    Logitech Revue with Google TV - plays those on the 250GB using Logitech Media Server
    Apple TV 3 - only .m4v's associated with Apple store acct (we used 2 different ones)
    iPad 2 - Same
    2 iPod 5G - Same
    Chromebook - Nothing stored locally
    ASUS Tablet - only mp4's stored on 1TB using BSPlayer app
    Samsung Galaxy Tab - yet to attempt
    4 Android phones - honestly not too concerned with these, as we have everything else

Other points I feel need mentioned:
    Not interested in any content of questionable legality--I've lost two desktops to viruses and malware in the past, and that was an expensive lesson.
    I would rather not have to purchase anything more than I already own. My wife thinks I have too much as it is already.

What am I missing? An app? A service? Convert everything to a common format?
    I think I covered everything. But if not, let me know. Thank you for any advice.

GaryArroz, Mar 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question