getting wifi to work between rooms using multiple access points

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Osedax Latin, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Osedax Latin

    Osedax Latin Guest


    i have a question about how to achieve the following goal. i've got 4
    rooms in my house. i've got an ADSL based internet connection. to get
    this, i have an ADSL modem connected to an ADSL router/wireless access
    point. in room 1, i have a windows PC using a USB wifi card to talk to
    the access point. in room 2, i have a laptop with a pcmcia card to
    also talk to the access point. but in room 3 and room 4, i have a
    bunch of machines that fall into one or more of the following

    1. no USB ports
    2. no PCMCIA ports
    3. no free PCI slots
    4. OS is old and/or doesn't support wireless devices

    those machines in room 3 and 4 do have LAN cards and are connected to
    a ethernet switches. ideally, if i could just buy a ethernet-to-wifi
    bridge/converter then i guess my problem would be solved. i coudn't
    find evidence of such a thing existing yet. then i got to thinking,
    that is just an access point. so if i bought another wifi access point
    for both room 3 and room 4, i could connect the switch in room 3 to an
    access point and the same in room 4. but now the problem is how do i
    tell the access point in rooms 3 and 4 that they should not be full-on
    access points but rather just be a simple ethernet-to-wifi bridge. i
    don't think adhoc mode is what i am looking for because then the main
    wifi access point/adsl router won't do it's routing then so i won't
    have internet access from any machine at that point.

    i look forward to any advice/discussion/suggestions. drop me a mail at
    if you can help me.

    Osedax Latin, Oct 16, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Don't have one - haven't tried one - can't condone it: I only mention it
    here because you asked if you could buy one...

    NPLINWET11 Linksys WET11 - Wireless Ethernet Bridge

    There are other manufacturers make these too. HTH,

    John Gallagher, Oct 16, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Osedax Latin

    Martin Guest

    you want a bridge, just like you said.

    eth1 ---- wireless node 1 <-----------------> wireless node 2 --- eth2

    I've used D-Link and it works well, you can even ramp it up to 108MHz if
    you want to link 2 channels together.



    unless you are willing to tell everyone what kit you have it's a little
    hard to help with your specific problem.

    I do something similar. My computer room is 100BaseT and I wireless
    bridge to the router in my lounge. As well as having a wireless hub
    there as well for laptops and stuff
    Martin, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Osedax Latin

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Presumably your wireless router also has ethernet ports, and supports wired
    connections in addition to wireless? If so, why not just run an ethernet
    cable from your hub/switch/whatever it is to the router? It's by far the
    easiest solution - unless you are particularly hung up about doing
    everything wirelessly!
    Tiscali Tim, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Osedax Latin

    Peter R Cook Guest

    I have an old "no-name" 802b access point that can be configured as
    either an access point, a bridge or a client.

    Looking at the documentation - I haven't the time to try - it looks as
    if you can do what you want by plugging it into the switch in room 3
    and/or 4 and configuring the access point as a client.

    So what you want is a WiFi access point that can be configured as a
    WIRELESS CLIENT. A quick google suggest that there are many such.

    Peter R Cook, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Osedax Latin

    Martin Guest

    He might have the same problem I have. A girlfirend who doesn't want
    cat-5 going round the house :~ You know what they are're like!
    Martin, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Osedax Latin

    BRG Guest

    Installed one on Thursday. Worked fine straight from the box.

    Connect it to the uplink port on your switch and configure it from
    one of the PCs connected to the switch. Easy-peasy.

    About £55 from eBuyer.
    BRG, Oct 16, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.