Gateway as Gateway?

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by pyrophobicman, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. I would like to connect an existing wired network (ethernet) to a new
    wireless network. I tryed to wire the wireless router with my wired
    router, with no sucsess. I thought that maybe I could have one computer
    (windows me) as a connection between the two networks. I currently have
    it set up so that the Gateway (winme) is part of both networks, but not
    bridging the two.I know that WinXP has a "bridging" tool, but upgrading
    is not an option. The question is, how do I direct traffic (with or
    without using the Gateway) across the networks?

    poly-p man

    The Wireless network consists of a windows 98se computer and the ME
    mentioned above. The wired has that ME, a Mac, and a few Linux boxes.
    pyrophobicman, Jul 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. pyrophobicman

    N. Miller Guest

    Without a bridging tool? Can't be done. Well, I am not, yet, sure that I
    understand RIP. Maybe it really isn't a bridging tool. OTOH, I am pretty
    sure that the LapLink USB Network cable software is a bridging tool.
    N. Miller, Jul 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. You don't need to use a computer as a gateway or bridge.

    Can you just replace an old wired router with the new wireless router?
    That would be the simplest solution.

    If not, configure the new wireless router to act as a wireless access
    point only, bypassing its routing capabilities:

    1. Connect a computer to a LAN port on the wireless router and access
    the router's built-in web server, which is usually at an address like or

    2. Disable the router's built-in DHCP server.

    3. Assign its LAN connection an IP address in the same subnet as the
    wired network.

    4. Disconnect the computer.

    5. Connect one of the wireless router's LAN ports to a port on the
    wired network. Don't connect anything to the wireless router's WAN
    (Internet) port.
    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jul 26, 2005
  4. The XP and 2k bridging tool simply redirects traffic from one NIC to
    another. RIP is a status protocol to track down new routers in the
    nwtwork. There's an undocumented registry tweak for Win ME to enable IP
    Forwarding, but the way to go is Steve Winograds suggestion.
    Dominik George, Jul 27, 2005
  5. with the locations of everything, Steve's suggestion is impossible. I
    even tried that, but packets flew everywhere. What is that registry

    poly-p man
    pyrophobicman, Jul 27, 2005
  6. The registry tweak is undocumented and after I once read about it, I
    didn't find anything about it anymore. But I will try to find something
    for you. If you've got any further questions etc., you're welcome to
    contact me via ICQ or MSN. My ICQ-UIN is 277935950, my MSN Passport-ID

    Dominik George
    Dominik George, Jul 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.