extra router

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by ginogag, Sep 21, 2014.

1. ginogag

ginogag

first time on , hi to all,
    im sure someone else has asked , but I will explain my entire situation, need some advice

waiting for new Verizon fios router. I was told I can keep old one by Verizon, my router will be in my basement next to my old xp desktop , which is connected via lan cable to router. When I get my NEW router ,I want to take it upstairs as a secondary to utilize lan ports and also extend my Wi-Fi signal that is very poor on my first floor. I would like to set it as same ssid,( IM GUESSING THAT HOOKUP IS CALLED Wireless Access Point?? )
    I have plenty of Ethernet cable and could run it anywhere. My fios ont box is connected via coax not Ethernet. I have coax jack (for my tv) at location where I would like to put my secondary router...so I could put a splitter and add secondary router( im guessing that's called moca)
    I would like to move freely around the house and grab either wifi signals that are set on same ssid....routers are Actiontec
    I you-tubed and googled , but am leery of messing anything up. So far I learned I have to hookup secondary router via Ethernet to pc , go into router settings ,
    --DISABLE DHCP
    GIVE IT 192.168.1.10 ip address
    TURN OFF COAX BROADBAND
    PUT SECONDARY ROUTER ON DIFFERENT CHANNEL( I was thinking new one channel 1 and secondary one channel 11???)
    MAKE SURE SUBNETS ARE THE SAME
    DONT KNOW ABOUT WEPs on either
    if im correct I think I have to put splitter and feed secondary router with coax, run LAN to LAN FROM NEW TO SECONDARY ROUTER

I think I have to enter same ssid and same password somewhere in secondary router settings ,
    I have 5 fios tv boxes, 3 wifi android devices, 2 wifi iphones, a laptop, a wii , an xbox, a blue-ray, a printer( on lan port) could hookup wireless if wanted .

I REALLY NEED STEP BY STEP , starting with secondary router configurations.

any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, I actually find IT work very interesting
    I will be getting new equipment I 2 days or so .

PS . I was actually told from a Verizon tech I CANNOT use 2 Actiontec routers in one network, but for some reason I didn't believe her....thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    ginogag, Sep 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. ginogag

ginogag

sorry if confusing , I want old router( secondary) on 1st floor , new router in basement next to desktop

ginogag, Sep 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question