Do I need two routers?

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by camrunner, Jul 16, 2015.

1. camrunner

camrunner

Currently setting up a gigabit network in my home. Have a dilemma and unsure what to do. I have a 4,000 sq ft home, basement, main floor and bonus room above garage. I have hard wired the main floor family room, bonus room and office on main floor to a patch panel in the basement. The reason for putting the panel in the basement is that is where the telecommunication cabling feeds into the home.

Currently in the basement I have the cable modem connected to my wifi router which then plugs into a 24 port gigabit switch which then feeds to each drop in the home. The setup is good except for the wifi. I do not get great reception throughout the household. So what I am wanting to do is move the wifi router to the main floor. However, doing so I end up using two ports as I need a cable from the modem and one to feed back to the switch. This seems a bit cumbersome and looks a bit tacky. Would it be better to purchase a second router to plug into the modem for NAT purposes and disable the wifi function? That way I'd have the wifi router on the main floor and not have to have two cables???

TIA

camrunner, Jul 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. camrunner

IT Assist

Why don't you leave the router where it is and use wireless access points throughout instead?

IT Assist, Mar 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question