Converting a Windows 2003 domain to a workgroup

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by Demolitio, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Demolitio

Demolitio Guest

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

My company has recently been working on de-centralizing most of our applications and services to web-based cloud services, and as a result are no longer really needing our corporate domain. To make things even more interesting, the aging Windows 2003 Server on our network acting as the domain serveris starting to die (motherboard and hard drive), sparking us to step up onmigrating these platforms quicker. Being in-house IT, I've been the lucky one given the task of trying to figure out how to make the transition from domain back to workgroup.

My question is- has anyone here attempted to convert their own domains to workgroup computers, and if so- did you have to do anything to the user accounts so that they could still be accessible? My worry is once I take the domain down- everybody after a certain point will not be able to access theirfiles and programs.

Demolitio, Feb 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Demolitio

mattjonesits

Converting workstations back to a domain is slightly tricky.

You will have to make sure you know the local admin password (!).
    I would create local accounts for the users and copy the data over (desktop and documents). For Windows XP you can use "File and Settings transfer" wizard but this can take an age. If the apps are correctly setup just copying desktop and documents does most of the work. (IE and outlook settings are lost in this method)
    Then take it off the domain.

mattjonesits, May 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question