constructing a flexible coaxial cable for wifi

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by sudhir_brahma, Oct 18, 2015.

1. sudhir_brahma

sudhir_brahma

The ones that are available are semi rigid and difficult to solder on the router's PCB (at the antenna points). What I need is a flexible cable (1 meter) that is easy to solder (the conductor needs to be big enough to work on). I am planning to use a simple PVC stranded cable as a core and wrap aluminium foil above/around it for the full length of 1 meter, then take bare copper strands and wrap them on the aluminium foil that I just wrapped on the PVC wire. I will do that for the full length. Finally wrap an insulating tape above it all.
    Question: Will this be a good substitute for an otherwise expensive coaxial cable? If not why not? I can increase the spacing of the outer conductor by using a thick PVC cable or just wrap a tape on one to make the insulation stouter (like a thick coaxial cable with better attenuation characteristics-like a 900DB series coaxial cable.

I will appreciate reviews to this approach.
    Many thanks for going thru.
    regards
    Sudhir (sudhir.brahma at gmail.com)

sudhir_brahma, Oct 18, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question