connecting wireless network to a wired network

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by troyp, Mar 5, 2008.

1. troyp

troyp

This problem was raised and since there is no "network" guy I guess I have to look into it. lol I'm more of the PC guy.

At work there are two seperate networks with Internet access. The Ethernet network has a Cisco 1841 router which has a Cisco 2950 switch connected to it with a bunch of computers. That network connects via a T1 line through Verizon. For example purposes that network is a 10.1.1.x address.

The second network has a cable broadband wireless router with 4 ports (not being used) installed. I think it's a Linksys router and the address is 192.168.0.x. So currently any PC's that connect through the cable modem cant access the Ethernet network and vice versa.

What was asked to be done is have the computers that connect to the cable modem also be able to connect to a server that is on the Ethernet network with a 10.1.1.1 address to have it download definiton files and WIndows Updates. I know that can be done but I can't just simply switch the wireless PC's over to the Ethernet network in order to do it. And they dont want to add a second server onto the wireless side.

I've thought of many things, VLAN, bridging, adding a static route to the 1841but I am just not sure. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone would have. Thanks in advance,

Troy

troyp, Mar 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question