Connecting Router to a wireless hotspot

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Jerry_03, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jerry_03

Jerry_03

So heres the deal, im moving into an apartment that provides internet via a wireless hotspot (is PW protected and has WPA2 protection). I would like to be able to connect a router to it and then wire my printer, Media server and Roku device to my router.

im guessing I will have to somehow bridge my router to the wireless hotspot. I would like the ability to then broadcast my own wireless network from my router, and have my mobile devices connect only to my router, which is in turn connected to the internet via the hotspot.

anyone recommend a specific router for the job? can use the mfg firmware or be open source firmware, doesnt matter to me.

I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 and a spare WRT54G with DDWRT.

below is a visual diagram of what i'd like to accomplish

img541.imageshack.us/img541/1776/zv84.jpg

Jerry_03, Jun 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Jerry_03

ubntstore

Better way how to do this is set Access Point + Wireless router. Never heard that some router can do this alone. Maybe some Cisco ?! There is some routers who can operate with 5 Ghz and 2,4 Ghz at the same time, but this is not your case.

ubntstore.eu

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    ubntstore, Jun 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Jerry_03

Atkgn182

As ubntstore said you are going to need an Access Point to create a Bridge then a 4 port wireless router to re-distribute the signal inside your apartment. Nothing a nanostation loco couldn't do.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Atkgn182, Aug 4, 2013
  4. Jerry_03

j_cocker

As mentioned above - an AP and a bridge, then a wifi router.

j_cocker, Mar 22, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question