Connecting over coax

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by mn1247, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mn1247

mn1247

I have an ethernet/wireless network running in my house (Apple) and I'm hoping to extend this to another building on my property (a barn). The barn is connected to the house via 400 feet of underground coax. It would be difficult to run CAT-6, so I'd like to make-do with the coax, even if the data rate is less than ideal.

On the barn-end, I want to be able to set up a local wireless network, and also add a couple of IP video cameras (to monitor livestock births).

Is MOCA the right technology to be looking at? I don't need to send any other signals over the coax - just the ethernet. Also, how do I set up the wireless at the barn-end. There would be no "WAN" connection for the Apple wireless, right? So what would I connect? Also, do the IP cameras just plug into an ethernet router?

Thanks for any advice. This is a bit new to me.

Eric

mn1247, Dec 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. mn1247

Margherita Gildersleeve

Hi. So what did you do? Have you installed the cameras properly? How much did it cost you? Am planning to do that too.

Margherita Gildersleeve, Sep 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. mn1247

CORST01

MoCA would be the right technology but you will likely run into a problem as the maximum distance you can run it is around 300 feet.

CORST01, Mar 3, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question