Camera cable to run 80m

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by John Aston, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. John Aston

    John Aston Guest

    Sorry - newbie question follows:

    I am installing some CAT5 cable around the house to network up the various
    family p.c.s. At the same time, I am proposing to link all the TVs in the
    house to my DVD player and digital TV box using coax.

    I would like to purchase and install an outdoor security camera about 80m
    (260 ft.) from my network and AV patch panel location. Ideally, I would like
    to record the camera output in response to motion in front of the camera.

    The key question: What sort of cable (CT100, CAT5e, other) should I run
    between the patch panel and the camera location?

    Subsidiary question: Should I be looking to record the camera picture on a
    p.c. hard disk or a VCR (or something else)?
    John Aston, Apr 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. John Aston

    Iain Miller Guest

    R U sure you will be able to get a Co-ax output from your DVD? Most DVD's
    don't have Co-ax/ RF outputs.

    Iain Miller, Apr 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. John Aston

    James Teaky Guest

    Hi John,

    Idealy what you should go after is an IP-camera, which are pretty new-ish
    but aren't completely mentally expensive (can't tell you exactly where to
    look for them, as I don't live in the uk)..

    ... they have a LAN Port and an integrated Webserver plus one or two other
    funcions (like motion-sensoring etc..) but the range of functions they have
    varies from model to model. However if you want to bridge 80m and have easy
    access to the picture plus recording functions (motion-activated?) then that
    is your best bet I would say.. however make sure it is no more than 100m as
    that would be reaching the limit for CAT5e ;)

    James Teaky, Apr 12, 2004
  4. John Aston

    Conor Guest

    Really? Not found a standalone DVD player that doesn't.
    Conor, Apr 12, 2004
  5. It's probably overkill, but my Cyberhome DVD also has optical, S-VHS,
    standard video, SCART and Y/Cr/Cb :)
    Jonathan Silverlight, Apr 12, 2004
  6. John Aston

    Lurch Guest

    As has been suggested by someone else the easiest solution is to use
    an IP camera. Axis ( are a good choice for these,
    available at various places online. You can record this image on your
    PC, view it over the www or from any local machine through IE and a
    whole host of other features depending how high up the spec list you
    go. To view it through your tv system you would need a TV out card
    installed in the PC, with either a standard co-ax directly into the
    distribution system or composite output through an external modulator.
    Tou can also get video servers which will convert a modulated signal
    into IP or vice-versa.
    You could opt for a standard cctv camera and link it directly into a
    distribution system, or into a capture card in the PC with recording
    As for cable choice, it depends on the exact spec of the camera you
    choose. Either RG59, CT100 or cat5 are the most likely candidates
    unless you go for some obscure item!
    Lurch, Apr 12, 2004
  7. John Aston

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 12 Apr
    2004 12:27:02 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Conor
    Mine, my mum's, my brother's and all 16 at work are coax-less. They only have
    scart (although some have separate audio outputs too).

    deKay, Apr 13, 2004
  8. John Aston

    Lurch Guest

    Not that it's a problem for the OP though, even if he has no co-ax
    outputs a modulator will only set him back £20-30. I think in the
    grand scheme he has planned that will be a small extra to shell out
    Lurch, Apr 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.