Calling all BT\2Wire 2700HGV users

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by WCZ, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. WCZ

    WCZ Guest

    BT remote upgraded my 2700HGV to the V6 firmware last night. This firmware
    doesn't allow non-BT usersnames to be used for the ADSL connection. The
    upgrade has left my old config in place so the router still works but I
    can't change the connection information. The next time I change ISP the
    router will be useless.

    There should be laws against degrading the functionality of something I own
    without my permission.

    Anyway, just a be aware really. It looks like all routers will be upgraded
    that have V5.29.117.6 firmware. If yours has the recovery BT firmware
    V5.29.107.12 it might escape but no guarantees.

    http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

    --

    WildCardZero
     
    WCZ, Mar 6, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. WCZ

    WCZ Guest

    WCZ wrote:
    > BT remote upgraded my 2700HGV to the V6 firmware last night. This
    > firmware doesn't allow non-BT usersnames to be used for the ADSL
    > connection. The upgrade has left my old config in place so the
    > router still works but I can't change the connection information. The next
    > time I change ISP the router will be useless.
    >
    > There should be laws against degrading the functionality of something
    > I own without my permission.
    >
    > Anyway, just a be aware really. It looks like all routers will be
    > upgraded that have V5.29.117.6 firmware. If yours has the recovery
    > BT firmware V5.29.107.12 it might escape but no guarantees.
    >
    > http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm


    Ooops, that page has been updated since yesterday and it looks like there is
    a way of entering a different username.

    --

    WildCardZero
     
    WCZ, Mar 6, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. WCZ

    Graham J Guest

    "WCZ" <> wrote in message
    news:gor0iu$ean$...
    > WCZ wrote:
    >> BT remote upgraded my 2700HGV to the V6 firmware last night. This
    >> firmware doesn't allow non-BT usersnames to be used for the ADSL
    >> connection. The upgrade has left my old config in place so the
    >> router still works but I can't change the connection information. The
    >> next time I change ISP the router will be useless.
    >>
    >> There should be laws against degrading the functionality of something
    >> I own without my permission.
    >>
    >> Anyway, just a be aware really. It looks like all routers will be
    >> upgraded that have V5.29.117.6 firmware. If yours has the recovery
    >> BT firmware V5.29.107.12 it might escape but no guarantees.
    >>
    >> http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

    >
    > Ooops, that page has been updated since yesterday and it looks like there
    > is a way of entering a different username.


    Vote with your feet - don't use BT !!

    --
    Graham J
     
    Graham J, Mar 6, 2009
    #3
  4. Peter Crosland wrote:
    >> BT remote upgraded my 2700HGV to the V6 firmware last night. This
    >> firmware doesn't allow non-BT usersnames to be used for the ADSL
    >> connection. The upgrade has left my old config in place so the router
    >> still works but I can't change the connection information. The next time
    >> I change ISP the router will be useless.
    >>
    >> There should be laws against degrading the functionality of something I
    >> own without my permission.

    >


    Better get on tio Microsoft then. They have been doing that to PC's for
    years...
    >
    > There are! I am considering giving BT written notice forbidding them to
    > access my 2700HGV serial number etc. and see what the response is.
    >
    > Peter Crosland
    >
    >
     
    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 7, 2009
    #4
  5. In article <>, The Natural
    Philosopher <> writes

    >Better get on tio Microsoft then. They have been doing that to PC's for
    >years...


    Indeed. I wish someone would do 'em under the Computer Misuse Act.

    --
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
    (")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png
     
    Mike Tomlinson, Mar 7, 2009
    #5
  6. WCZ

    Adrian C Guest

    Jasper wrote:
    >
    > Don't like the new interface with V6, no nice graphics like V5 :-(
    >


    Isn't there 2Wire firmware doing the rounds somewhere?

    --
    Adrian C
     
    Adrian C, Mar 8, 2009
    #6
  7. WCZ

    WCZ Guest

    Kráftéé wrote:
    > "Adrian C" <> wrote in message
    > news:
    >> Jasper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Don't like the new interface with V6, no nice graphics like V5 :-(
    >>>

    >>
    >> Isn't there 2Wire firmware doing the rounds somewhere?
    >>

    >
    > Think that is what jasper is on about. It changes the way you can
    > hack them (for use on other ISPs) as well supposedly.


    I've been looking for that over the weekend but not found anything yet.

    The 2700HGV tripod page has been updated over the weekend and it seems that
    the V6 firmware can still be used with any ISP, its just the method of
    inputting the username that has changed.

    I quite like the V6 firmware but I'd still prefer it to have been an
    optional upgrade.

    --

    WildCardZero
     
    WCZ, Mar 9, 2009
    #7
  8. WCZ

    WCZ Guest

    Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    > In article <>, The Natural
    > Philosopher <> writes
    >
    >> Better get on tio Microsoft then. They have been doing that to PC's
    >> for years...

    >
    > Indeed. I wish someone would do 'em under the Computer Misuse Act.


    Aside from the mandatory Windows Update thing that was enforced a while back
    I've not heard anything about other forced patches. Updates have always
    been optional haven't they?

    --

    WildCardZero
     
    WCZ, Mar 9, 2009
    #8
  9. WCZ

    Woby Tide Guest

    On Mar 6, 4:40 pm, "Graham J" <> wrote:
    > "WCZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:gor0iu$ean$...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > WCZ wrote:
    > >> BT remote upgraded my 2700HGV to the V6 firmware last night.  This
    > >> firmware doesn't allow non-BT usersnames to be used for the ADSL
    > >> connection.  The upgrade has left my old config in place so the
    > >> router still works but I can't change the connection information. The
    > >> next time I change ISP the router will be useless.

    >
    > >> There should be laws against degrading the functionality of something
    > >> I own without my permission.

    >
    > >> Anyway, just a be aware really.  It looks like all routers will be
    > >> upgraded that have V5.29.117.6 firmware.  If yours has the recovery
    > >> BT firmware V5.29.107.12 it might escape but no guarantees.

    >
    > >>http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

    >
    > > Ooops, that page has been updated since yesterday and it looks like there
    > > is a way of entering a different username.

    >
    > Vote with your feet - don't use BT !!
    >

    I think you missed the point. Most of the users of these routers don't

    Mine still shows V5.29.117.6 as the current version on Be*.

    (If I click on the "Upgrade your version " button mind you it reports
    I have an even older version of firmware though.)
     
    Woby Tide, Mar 10, 2009
    #9
  10. WCZ

    IanB Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:09:51 -0000, "198kHz" <> wrote:

    >"Woby Tide" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >
    >Mine still shows V5.29.117.6 as the current version on Be*.
    >
    >(If I click on the "Upgrade your version " button mind you it reports
    >I have an even older version of firmware though.)
    >
    >Ah, it's not just mine that does that then.


    Yes, me to. I think they all do.

    I've been trying to work out why some have been automatically upgraded
    and others, like mine, haven't. I wondered if they can, somehow, tell
    whereabouts it's being used (the point of entry into BT's network
    maybe?) and are initially upgrading the ones with a lot of OpenZone
    usage.

    Is there anyone in a city whose 2700 hasn't been upgraded, or anyone
    out in the sticks whose has?


    Ian
    --
    The From address is valid
     
    IanB, Mar 10, 2009
    #10
  11. WCZ

    MikeT Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:59:33 +0000, IanB wrote in
    <news:>

    > Is there anyone in a city whose 2700 hasn't been upgraded, or anyone
    > out in the sticks whose has?


    Mine was upgraded just two days after I started using it - a small town in
    NI.
     
    MikeT, Mar 10, 2009
    #11
  12. WCZ

    IanB Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:44:53 +0000, MikeT <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:59:33 +0000, IanB wrote in
    ><news:>
    >
    >> Is there anyone in a city whose 2700 hasn't been upgraded, or anyone
    >> out in the sticks whose has?

    >
    >Mine was upgraded just two days after I started using it - a small town in
    >NI.


    Oh well, another theory bites the dust. :-(

    Thanks for the reply.

    Ian
    --
    The From address is valid
     
    IanB, Mar 10, 2009
    #12
  13. WCZ

    IanB Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:19:43 -0000, "198kHz" <> wrote:

    >Maybe some people have copied an old URL from a forum when applying DNS
    >Resolve, or perhaps DNS Resolve doesn't work in the case of updates.


    It's nothing to do with the DNS poisoning. I've never bothered with
    that (or any of the other tweaks) on either of my 2700s and the one
    currently in use still hasn't updated.

    Ian
    --
    The From address is valid
     
    IanB, Mar 11, 2009
    #13
  14. WCZ

    WCZ Guest

    "IanB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:19:43 -0000, "198kHz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Maybe some people have copied an old URL from a forum when applying DNS
    >>Resolve, or perhaps DNS Resolve doesn't work in the case of updates.

    >
    > It's nothing to do with the DNS poisoning. I've never bothered with
    > that (or any of the other tweaks) on either of my 2700s and the one
    > currently in use still hasn't updated.
    >



    Mine was poisoned using all the URLs google found for me plus the one listed
    in the provisioning information. DNS poisoning doesn't work for this
    firmware upgrade but I've yet to see an explanation of how it actually
    works.

    Its so far so good anyway with v6. Its unlockable to all ISPs and it seems
    to be holding the connection better but that could be coincidence.

    --

    WCZ
     
    WCZ, Mar 11, 2009
    #14
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. SF Javier

    Looking for 2wire 2700hgv dsl modem

    SF Javier, Nov 3, 2005, in forum: Broadband Hardware
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    424
    SF Javier
    Nov 3, 2005
  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

    Calling all 3Com 3CRWE454G72 (802.11g wireless access point) users

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=, Mar 24, 2005, in forum: Home Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    645
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=
    Mar 26, 2005
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    6,360
  4. Ken Nixon
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    492
  5. Peter Crosland
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    436
    Terry
    Jun 19, 2008
  6. Ian
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    589
  7. Victor Delta

    Calling all Google Mail users

    Victor Delta, May 7, 2010, in forum: Broadband
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    663
    Phil W Lee
    May 9, 2010
  8. Brian
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    502
    The Natural Philosopher
    May 23, 2011
Loading...