Advice on designing a new home network.

Discussion in 'Routers and Switches' started by erod998, Nov 2, 2015.

1. erod998

erod998

Hello all! First post here.
    I am sorta clueless when it comes to networking, crosstalk, etc. So, if you read something in this that is absolutely stupid, please let me know. I am currently designing a new home network. My current one is garbage. A single router in the corner of a 6,000 sq. foot home. This is what I would like to do:

My computer desk shares a wall with a closet which will house a 24 port switch and 24 port rack patch panel. The same wall has my cable from ATT going to my router. I will reverse the port and have it coming inside the closet up to the switch. This closet's ceiling goes straight to my attic as well, so running the cables from the closet to the attic will be very easy. This rack will house the switch and patch panel, router, and a few HDMI to Cat converters so I can send a 1080p signal to a port such as the garage, so I can hook up a projector and have a movie night outside. I plan on running 2 cables to most rooms, specifically the ones with a TV. Each tv in the house has an Apple TV and a DirectTV receiver box. Both of these will be plugged in to a dual port wall mount ethernet box. Some TV's also have a PS4 or Xbox, or some other gaming system. In those cases, will a 4 port switch be fine to hook up the devices?

What type of cable will be best? CAT5 or 6e?
    Could I extend the wireless network for mobile devices by just adding a router to one of the 2 plugs in a room? Or will this cause problems?
    Managed or unmanaged switch?
    What is an unshielded patch panel? Do I need a shielded one?
    Is my plan completely bogus? Will it even work?
    What should I change?

Thanks everyone for reading this and replying! Really appreciate it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    erod998, Nov 2, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question