Access denied to share...strange scenario

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Hi,

This may be Windows 2000 or XP question, I'm not sure.

I have a situation where the only time I can map a shared folder to our Windows 2000 server from my local machine XP machine is if the Administrator has rights to the share on the server. The catch is mydomain\username account (how I'm logged into my machine) is not part of the Administrators group on the 2000 server although at one time it was but I don't recall when I removed it.

On the server if I remove Adminstrators and add mydomain\username instead on the share, I get access denied errors when I try to connect to the share from XP. Anyway, it's as if when I try to connect to the share, my machine tries to connect as a the server's Administrator and not as mydomain\username account. To me it seems like XP is caching this somewhere because I tried to connect from another XP machine and it worked OK. I would like to see what username is actually being passed across the wire.

Thanks, Dave.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Dec 17, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=

Dave Patrick Guest

You'll want to create an account (in Users and Passwords) on the Win2k
    machine(s) with the username and password that you use to logon to the winXP
    machine(s) with. Then you'll need to share out the resource(s) with
    permissions for those users. Also make sure they're all part of the same
    workgroup. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the IPC$ password
    Inter-process communication)

In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
    2000 machine, Windows 2000 needs to authenticate the user. If the user
    account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then access will be
    denied.

--
    Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

Windows 2000 server from my local machine XP machine is if the Administrator
    has rights to the share on the server. The catch is mydomain\username
    account (how I'm logged into my machine) is not part of the Administrators
    group on the 2000 server although at one time it was but I don't recall when
    I removed it.
    on the share, I get access denied errors when I try to connect to the share
    from XP. Anyway, it's as if when I try to connect to the share, my machine
    tries to connect as a the server's Administrator and not as
    mydomain\username account. To me it seems like XP is caching this somewhere
    because I tried to connect from another XP machine and it worked OK. I
    would like to see what username is actually being passed across the wire.

Dave Patrick, Dec 17, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. Dave,

Thanks for the reply but I'm not using workgroups or peer networking. We are using Active Directory and domains so I don't think creating a local account on the server applies here. I'm not a networking person, but would think that would defeat the purpose of AD since you'd have to maintain multiple accounts per person.

There is something definately strange because when I add other users (domain\username) accounts to the share, they can map OK. Somewhere it still thinks I'm an Admin.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Dec 18, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question