98 second addition Personal Web Server

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bmVlZHNvbWVoZWxw?=, Jan 1, 2004.

1. I know almost zilch about networking, but I can follow directions.

I wish to test some html documents I've written with Wordperfect on my home computer, a 2000 model from Cyberpower. It has a software modem(Cirrus logic). It has plenty of CPU power and memory and it runs Windows 98 and Linex on two partitions I setup two years ago(but I'm still using my windows software).

Thus to test these documents, I installed the Personal Web Server from the 98 Windows disk. Everything seems fine, the icons appear, and I click on properties from the taskbar icon and the main page comes up. It shows that a homepage is available at http//:<default> and the directory is C:\lnetpub\wwwroot. <default> is actually an alphanumeric name that is assigned when I installed windows. I read the intro and click on the Web Site icon to add a homepage. But then my not so wonderful computer crashes.

I read the troubleshooting help files. No relevant problems seem listed. The section on viewing a LAN
    web site seems relevant, so I amended the hosts.sam file, but my browser option settings do not list a proxy server,
    so the directions to change these are meaningless to me(I'm new to this after all). I also tried publishing from
    my Wordperfect 9 software, but this did not work either(was not able to resolve the server address).

I don't know what needs to be done nor if my hardware partition could be a problem. In an attempt to see
    if installed software was causing a problem, I reformatted the windows partition, installed windows and then the PSW. But this did not resolve anything.

Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?bmVlZHNvbWVoZWxw?=, Jan 1, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question